LEED®, the US originated rating system for sustainable buildings, is requested by more and more building planners in the USA and in Europe and at the Gulf.
Latest News – draft LEED 2012 open for public comment
LEED 2012 is open for public comment with first deadline: December 31, 2010.
As regards VOC emissions of materials into indoor air, major proposed changes are:
- VOC emissions limits no longer arevalid for single products, e.g. an adhesive, but for surfaces, e.g. floor or wall (“systems approach”).
- VOC emissions limits are taken from 2010 version of CDPH Section 01350. But for LEED projects outside North America, another way of showing compliance is based German AgBB approach, together with ISO 16000-11 for handling samples of products that have not been mentioned explicitely in AgBB documents.
- VOC content limits for liquid products (paints, adhesives, sealants) only allow showing partial compliance; full points are assigned only if also emissions criteria are respected.
- VOC content determination now also will be possible using ISO 11890-1 and -2 standards, not only SCAQMD methods.
- For LEED projects outside North America, respect of EU Decopaint Directive limit values allows showing compliance with VOC content requirements.
- Above does not apply to furniture that need to comply with ANSI/BIFMA M7.1-2010, and to formaldehyde emissions from wood-based products and CARB phase 2 requirements, or 1/2 of European E1 class.
- Further new specifications deal with exempt products, laboratory quality requirements and guidelines for claims of compliance.
On the website of US Green Building Council you will find a general introduction and guidance, and a list of credits with proposed new specifications.
Please note that these specifications may change during further commenting and reviewing process.
Commenting is open to LEED project teams and to US GBC members.
Please see our flyer on LEED® issues in English or in French, or contact our national organisations or our specialists for using Eurofins expertise that may help to establish sustainable and green buildings.
Order forms and testing request forms for VOC testing are available for free download here.
Your direct contacts:
Direct contact to Eurofins Product Testing A/S, the world market leader for VOC emissions chamber testing:
- Sales: Reinhard Oppl, email email@example.com
- Certification: Dr. Roland Augustin, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Testing laboratory: Thomas Neuhaus, email email@example.com
2200 Rittenhouse St., Suite 150
Des Moines, IA 50321